Tuesday, February 2, 2016

#4 10 Most Engaging Uses of Tech Integration

Technology in the classrooms can be used to enhance student engagement if used effectively. There are ten examples listed of ways to incorporate technology. Audio and video feedback helps for students to not solely focus on the grade they received, but more clearly understand why they were given that grade. This type of feedback is more personal and also helps to accommodate both visual and auditory learners. Digital portfolios are used for students to be able to share their work and have their peers, parents, and teachers comment on them. Blended learning gives opportunities for students to learn at their own pace by having alternate resources such as a course website, Facebook learning support groups and recorded podcasts that they are able to access at home. It also frees up time in the class to allow for questions and deeper thinking. Social media enhances students’ engagement, if used properly, with tools such as Facebook or blogs. Game-Based learning helps for students to recognize their achievements causing them to be more mindful of their progress. Collaboration tools allow for students to show off their multimedia skills by giving more freedom in what they share. These types of tools also create a deeper interaction between the students. Design thinking lets the students choose more of what they want to share, helping to keep themselves more interested. Another example is given for reaching individuals and groups by explaining how technology allows for students to maintain access of projects they have done by saving them in an online folder and being able to share those later. Allowing the students to track their own progress using technology helps to create a sense of self-advocacy for them by being able to monitor all of their previous work. Visual literacy is also a great accommodation for those who are more-so visual learners. Each of these ten examples describes ways in which technology can help foster a greater development for learning.

Saga Briggs did an excellent job composing this article. By listing these ten factors separately, she was better able to clearly define them. She provided a lot of content in her work, which helped to show her credibility. Each bullet was also followed by an example, which helped to paint a picture of what exactly was being said. I do agree that technology can be very beneficial in classrooms if used properly. I also firmly agree with the quote from David Geurin that was used at the start of the article, “Classrooms don’t need tech geeks who can teach; we need teaching geeks who can use tech.” Technology cannot be used effectively in the classroom if the teacher is not knowledgeable of how to use it. However, if the teacher is knowledgeable, it is up to them to decide which ways of using technology would be most beneficial for their students. For example, I have never been provided an audio or video feedback for my written assignments. After reading Saga’s explanation on this topic, I think that is a great idea for teachers to consider. It happens all too often that I wonder where I went wrong or what I actually did well because of a lack of explanation. I also really like the idea of game-based learning due to the fact that I would consider myself mainly a visual and kinesthetic learner. I think this use of technology helps to accommodate different styles of learning and helps to keep the engagement because it makes class time more exciting. Because of Saga’s descriptions, I was able to understand these ten specific ways that technology can be used to enhance students’ engagement. Her written account of this helps for me as a future educator to better understand effective ways of teaching.

No comments:

Post a Comment